Coral Gables Murder Attorney
A murder conviction comes with the most serious possible penalties set out under the United States criminal laws. Therefore, anyone facing murder charges should have a highly skilled and experienced Coral Gables murder attorney handling their case. While most murder charges are issued from state prosecutors and are handled in state courts, federal prosecutors will issue murder charges under federal law under certain circumstances, which may include the following:
- Murder of a federal judge, congressman, the president, or other political leaders;
- Murder stemming from a civil rights violation;
- Murder on an airplane or at an airport;
- Murder of a law enforcement officer’s family for revenge;
- Murder committed by an escaped federal prisoner;
- Murder that involved hostages or kidnapping; or
- Murder that occurred due to a drive-by shooting that was related to a drug deal.
Federal courts follow specific rules of procedure and rules of evidence, so it is vital that you have an attorney on your side who is thoroughly familiar with these rules and can handle your case adeptly. A skilled defense lawyer can minimize the penalties you face, protect your constitutional rights, and help you avoid wrongful conviction.
Elements of a murder charge
Murder is the unlawful killing of another person with malice aforethought and can be charged as first-degree or second-degree. First-degree murder includes a killing that involves any of the following acts:
- Lying in wait for the victim;
- Caused during the commission or attempted commission of certain felonies, including kidnapping, arson, robbery, burglary, sexual assault, and more;
- Caused by child abuse or assault; or
- Any other willful, malicious, and deliberate act with premeditation.
Any murder that does not fit into the above categories can be charged as second-degree.
Under the Federal Death Penalty Act, first-degree murder convictions can mean either a death sentence or life in prison. Second-degree murder cannot result in execution, but can mean life in prison.
Defending federal murder charges
Because of the extremely severe penalties for murder charges, it is highly important that you have an attorney who knows how to identify any possible defenses in your case. Such defenses may include self-defense, defense of others, an alibi, exercise of duty, it was an accident, the insanity defense, or by simply stating that someone else committed the offense. Each defense requires carefully gathered and presented evidence that may include DNA samples, witness testimony, other physical evidence, and much more. Murder trials can be lengthy, complex, and stressful with many different legal issues arising. You should always be sure that your attorney has the knowledge and resources needed to sustain throughout your murder case.
Call an experienced Coral Gables murder attorney for help today
As soon as you realize you are even under suspicion of federal murder, you need to call an experienced Coral Gables murder attorney for help immediately. Since federal murder cases often involve many aggravating circumstances, your attorney should know how to challenge the charges and the possibility of a death sentence. Defense attorney Alfredo A. Izaguirre provides that highest quality of representation in federal murder cases, so please call today at 305-442-0425 to discuss your case.